Basuto Medical Centre Patient Privacy Notice
- What personal data we collect about you
- Why we collect that personal data
- Who we share your personal data with
- Why we might contact you and how you can change that
- How we keep your personal data secure
Personal data collected by Basuto Medical Centre
Our clinical team caring for you maintain records about your health and any treatment or care you have received previously and these records help to provide you with the best possible healthcare.
Your records are compiled of electronic and paper-based entries and we ensure that the information we hold is kept in a safe location with restricted access to authorised personnel with secure back up in line with our protocols and procedures.
Records which our practice may hold about you may include the following:
- Your name, address, date of birth, next of kin etc
- Notes about your health, treatment and care
- Results of x-rays, scans and laboratory tests
- Relevant information from other health professionals or carers
Please always check that your personal details are correct when you visit us and please inform us of any changes as soon as possible.
Reasons for collecting personal data
Your records are used to direct, manage and deliver the care you receive to ensure that:
- Doctors and other healthcare professionals involved in your care have accurate and up to date information to assess your health and decide the most appropriate care for your
- Healthcare professionals have the information they need to be able to assess and improve the quality and type of care you receive
- Your concerns can be properly investigated in a complaint or any concerns that may be raise
- Appropriate information is available if you see another doctor, or are referred to a specialist or another part of the healthcare system to ensure you receive continuity of care
- Your information will also be used to help us manage and protect the health of the public by being used to:
Review the care we provide to ensure it is of the highest standard and quality
Ensure our services can meet patient needs in the future
Investigate patient queries, complaints and legal claims
Ensure the surgery receives payment for the care you receive
Surgery audit purposes
Who we share your personal data with
Everyone working within healthcare has a legal duty to keep information about you confidential. Similarly, anyone who receives information from us has a legal duty to keep it confidential.
We will share information with the following organisations:
- NHS Trust and hospital that are involved in your care
- Private insurers that are involved in your care
- Ambulance services
- Specialist consultants we refer you to for secondary care
We will never share your information outside health partner organisations without your explicit consent unless there are exceptional circumstances such as when the health or safety of others is at risk or where the law requires it or to carry out a statutory function.
When attending our surgery for an appointment or procedure you will be asked to confirm that we have an accurate email address, contact number/mobile telephone number for you which will be used as a main line of communication providing we have your consent. Consent will never be assumed and will always have to be given explicitly.
We retain personal data for 10 years or until the child’s 25th birthday (whichever comes first).
We use secure IT system which is updated regularly in order to protect your personal information and confidentiality and use encrypted egress switch to ensure the safe way of communicating via emails.
Personal data and your rights
Data protection legislation give you the right to:
- Correct any data we hold about you that is not correct (rectification)
- Request that we delete your personal data (erasure)
- Block or suppress the further processing of your personal data in certain circumstances (restriction)
- Request access to personal data that we hold about you (subject access)
If you have any concerns about the way we have handled your personal data please do not hesitate to contact u the Practice Manager on 020 7736 7557.